Friday, January 27, 2006

Finally it sparked!

Today we made a significant step forward in the project at BARC. At last, after meandering over different paths, we were able to produce a voltage of 8kV, enough to ignite a spark plug. After this we have to observe the effect of change in the shape of the pulses on spark plug. But still this was a crucial step. Hurray!

The project is completely hardware. So there have been lot of hiccups. Sometimes, it is very frustrating to do hardware stuff, especially during debugging. I mean, 'sirf ek tuti hui wire circuit ko hijda bana deti hai'. We have spent hours just to find out which path of the circuit is broken. But, at last, at least some of the circuit has been 'freezed' (as our project guide calls it).

Apart from the sudy-related aspects, what I am realising during my stint at BARC is that, I am not interested in doing complete hardware project in future and BARC is not a great place to work as it seems from outside. The second conclusion may be baffling for some, as BARC is considered a prime scientific institution in India. But I have my reasons. I found the overall atmosphere very gloomy and cheerless ( in fact, Gopal keeps on yawing at BARC. Now you can imagine). And it's like a typical government office more tp, less work ( I must exclude my project guide from that. He has been really helpful and always seems to be busy with his work).

That's what worries me. BARC is India's premier research institute. And, yet, there is little incentive for young people to come and do research in BARC. Even Gopal is not thinking about it. The main problem is that the researchers in Government institutes are paid less in India. But when I checked BARC site I found it to be true. http://www.barc.ernet.in/empdata/payscale.html. There may be many perks, but still corpoartes offer must better payscale and better growth opportunities.

So to facilitate research in India, big companies should support research (IIRC, this was topic for the XAT essay this year). Some have already started it. Multinationals like Google, Microsoft, HP have already opened their research wings in Bangalore. Universities should also be included in the research like the foreign universities. India shouldn't be content with managing the backoffices of the multinationals, but also should provide the 'brain' for the. India has to move from 'BPO (business process outsourcing)' to 'KPO( knowledge process outsourcing)' to be Superpower of twenty-first century.

6 Comments:

At 10:30 am, Blogger Bhagyesh said...

As an insider at BARC, I completely agree with you over your views on BARC being a gloomy place. Also to critique your last para, this is exactly what I meant in one of my blogposts when I said :

"...that would be something that we Indians could be really proud of rather than telling the world that we are the leaders in the BPO market and the Call Centre Industry - something which I seriously feel is quite below the kind of potential that Indian youth possess. We can do much better than talk over the phone with a hundred people a day, try and solve their problems and also get abused in return..."

good, we agree over that.

india calling
http://bloggingmyself.blogspot.com/2006/01/india-shining-once-again-intel-duo.html

 
At 12:15 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe.. loved this line :
".. in fact,Gopal keeps on yawing at BARC. Now you can imagine.. "

 
At 10:26 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lets hope in future it will be done. Till then enjoy your time in BARC while I indulge myself in In-House project. I pity you guys. Friday must be equivalent to 2 college days for you all.

 
At 10:27 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lets hope in future it will be done. Till then enjoy your time in BARC while I indulge myself in In-House project. I pity you guys. Friday must be equivalent to 2 college days for you all.

 
At 3:59 am, Blogger Hrisheekesh Sabnis said...

seems that the situation in BARC is really bad... btw u would be surprised but the level of enthusiasm for research is very low in IIT as well..

i loved the line abt gopal yawning.. thats the ultimate lower limit that an institute can reach.. this means that sathaye college was a better place than BARC!!

hrishi.

 
At 3:35 pm, Blogger ninad said...

Chetan Bhagat has said the same thing about research at IIT, in 'Five Point Someone'.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home