Saturday, July 22, 2006

Thanks DoT for blocking blogspot ;)

So finally Indian government has lifted the ban on blogspot.com. Let's hope that Government will not use any such measures in future, where people are stripped from their basic right,i.e., Freedom of Speech. I also hope that Government will also lift ban on other blogs and websites. Authorities often lament that anti-social elements use technology to their benefit, which is true. But at the same time Authorities ca also use this technology to curb terrorism.

गरज ही शोधाची जननी असते. I don't know if there is similar proverb in English, but whenever there is need, people look for alternatives. When blogspot was not available, I was looking for other options. I had heard about bloglines.And I really got hooked to it.

Yes, I know that feeds is an age-old (at least in computing terms ;)) technology. Kaushal had told me about it a year back. I had read about it on net. But somehow I never tried feeds. But when blogspot was blocked and it was absolutely necessary to use feed I had to resort to feeds. So I tried both online feed sites( bloglines.com) and desktop software (newscrawler.com). Both are good, but I prefer bloglines.

After suscribing to feeds, I no longer have to check blogs to check if they are updated. News from various sources (BBC, Reuters, NDTV,...) arrive at my bloglines page, as they are updated. I am informed about latest tranfer rumours ( which is very important news for any football fan) as they unfold. And of course, you can also suscribe to podcasts. There are many many feeds available on the net. Feeds are really amazing thing, which I am sad that I didn't explore previously.

I know, many people must be already using feeds. But I urge all those who are not using it, to try it. You will definitely get hooked to it!

1 Comments:

At 5:53 am, Blogger Bhagyesh said...

"Necessity is the mother of all invetions" -- Guess this is rite... :))

 

Post a Comment

<< Home